Monday, August 30, 2010

A Busy Few Days In Christchurch





I spent last Thursday and Friday (26 and 27th August) in Christchurch with my fellow E-Fellows for an extremely busy and jam packed session of learning, skill sharing, laughter and great company. What an amazing group to work with!
We shared 5 slides of what is currently grabbing and interesting us in E-learning and Florence shared how she is using solo taxonomy with her classes. I found this very interesting and want to explore this further to see how I can apply it to my own teaching.
Something from Nathan's sharing that grabbed me was how in his community in Warrington there is a bus shelter where residents can leave unwanted items for others to use and recycle. If the item is still there after a week the original owner must remove it. As we currently have our annual inorganic collection happening here in Greenhithe and I observe the number of people 'recycling' items I cannot help but think how practical Nathan's community's recycling system is.
Tara shared how to use Prezi and I plan to explore this further as I can think of ways I could use it with the children I am working with.
We spent time working with Matt Tippen from Core Ed looking at how to create a presentation (to help us as we plan what we will share at this year's Ulearn Conference) and later had to create several speeches in 5 minutes on ourselves and something we are passionate about as we learnt how to deliver a speech. It was a little out of the comfort zone for us all as we created, delivered and then were critiqued on these short speeches.
Matt shared his own E-Fellowship research (very interesting) and then shared with us two projects he has been working on - Booktalks and EdTalks.
I have a huge list of other things to explore over the next while as so much of interest was shared within the group and it amazes me how these things can apply across all levels of education, not just to the area each of us is working in.
On Friday one thing that I found amazingly interesting was when Michael Winter of Core shared with us a Ted.com video by Prof. Sugata Mitra about his Hole In The Wall project - it shows so well how children can self direct their own learning without any adult intervention.
By the time I returned home on Friday night my mind was spinning, in fact I don't think I was much company for Tara on the plane as I was struggling with 'brain overload' as I tried to process the information I had gained. I have spent the weekend processing and following up and feel it is going to take me weeks to work through it all fully.
Thank you to everyone - the other E-fellows and Core - for such an amazingly fantastic couple of days, full of laughter and wonderful learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment